“The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought.”
— Sir Thomas Beecham
I couldn’t think of a witty title for today’s post but I did found this quote and thought it fitting for the topic I wanted to write about today. I can’t get through a run without music. I know some people say they love running without music because it creates a completely different experience, they enjoy hearing the sound of their feet hitting the pavement, it helps them pace better, etc. I admit that I’ve never run without music but that’s because I choose to. It helps me pass the time and keeps my energy levels up. I honestly find that I run faster when a high-paced song that I love comes on.
Lately, I’ve gotten a little sick of my workout playlist so I looked up and downloaded some songs that would add some spice to my playlist and, therefore, my run. Tuesday night was the first time I ran with my updated playlist and I think it was part of the reason I had such a good run. Here are a couple of songs that I’m digging right now:
- “Rumour Has It” by Adele → Just an overall superb album
- “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce → Word
- “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars → Even though I don’t like BM, I admittedly love this song.
- “Beautiful People” by Chris Brown → I know I’ll probably get a lot of crap for this one…
- “Smooth Criminal” (cover) by the Glee Cast → Intense dueling CELLOS!
- “Where Are We Running” by Lenny Kravitz → Stole this by accident from my hubs but it’s a great song
- “Love You Like A Love Song” by Selena Gomez → Don’t hate on the Disney stars! There’s another one below too…
- “All Night Long” by Demi Lovato → Again, don’t judge me…
- “Look At Me Now” (cover) by Karmin → crazy, white girl rapping
- “She’s A Genius” by Jet → Another one stolen from hubs
What’s on your iPod playlist right now? Do you like to run with or without music?