Usually when Rich is away, I stay away from using the Crockpot for dinner. Although I’m a creature of habit, I don’t like to eat the same thing day in and day out (with the exception of my favorite PB & banana English muffin for breakfast.) Cooking in the Crockpot usually means 4 – 6 servings of the same ol’ thing, and I’m not a fan of that.
When I saw a photo of the turkey and macaroni recipe in my Rival Crockpot cookbook, I knew there was going to be an exception to the rule. Since it was mostly tomato based, I wouldn’t feel so bad if I shoveled a heaping piling of it into my face….
I had Rich buy a couple supplies for me on Sunday before he left so that I could make my exception to the single-person-for-the-week Crockpot rule and make this recipe with my own twist. It looked simple enough and, since we’d already finished Sunday’s big cook up of teriyaki shrimp and veggies by Monday (=X), I knew I wouldn’t want to spend an hour slaving over the stove when I got home from work on Tuesday. Turkey and pasta in the Crockpot it was!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 3 cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne
- 1 can (16 oz) corn, drained
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 cup(s) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper (I used orange but any color will do)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan, to top
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and cool turkey until browned, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer turkey to your slow cooker.
- Add tomato soup, penne, corn, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 2 – 3 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle parmesan on top and enjoy!
Source: Modified from Rival Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipes
This crockpot dish was easy peasy (just the way I like it) and made plenty of leftovers for the week. My favorite part of this dish was how soft the pasta got from slow cooking. It basically melted in my mouth with each bite! Who doesn’t like that?
WeightWatchers® PointsPlus™: 9 per serving
*All nutritional info is estimated using SparkRecipes.com. Actuals may differ based upon product brand.