Sometimes, you have a lot of time. Other times, you have a little time. Once in a while, you have no time. That’s how I would aptly describe this past holiday season: little or no time. So when I realized I had to whip up something in a flash for a pot luck lunch at work, I knew I would be short on time and energy to make a dish the night before, so what was I going to cook up?
I typically don’t like to make what I call pseudo-recipes, but this situation definitely called for it. What’s a pseudo recipe, you ask? It’s any recipe that calls for a pre-packaged or pre-made ingredient as the main ingredient, such as packaged taco seasoning or a can of cream or mushroom soup. I’d rather make it myself so that I can control what’s going into my dish and my body.
But sometimes the situation calls for a no frills no thinking dish, and that’s where pepperoni pizza poppers come in. Five ingredients, five (or less) minutes of prep, five minutes of assembly. This would also be a great side dish to make for Superbowl Sunday to accompany the feast that you’ll be prepping for game day! It is the perfect pseudo-recipe to make when you’re just really short on time.
The best way to serve this to your friends is to not tell them what it is. They’ll figure its some old boring biscuit to go with the entrée. They’ll grab a piece, take a bite, and find that there’s a surprise inside! Who said dining can’t be a mystery?
… And don’t forget to check out my other yummy recipes!
- 1 can flaky biscuits (I used Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits.)
- 32 slices turkey pepperoni (I used Bridgford because it tastes more like regular pepperoni.)
- 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 small cubes
- Sprinkle of oregano for topping
- Shredded parmesan cheese for topping
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Split each biscuit in half (it should be pre-cut) and flatten each half a little bit.
- Place one slice of pepperoni on the flattened biscuit, then stack a cube of mozzarella and another slice of pepperoni on top.
- Fold up the edges of the biscuit into a little bundle, and place seam down on a medium baking dish (9X9 or 9X13).
- Repeat steps 1 – 4 for the remaining biscuits.
- Sprinkle the top of the assembled biscuits with oregano and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Pull apart to serve with some marinara sauce for dipping!
Source: Inspired by Baker Lady
Servings Per Recipe: 16 • Serving Size: 1 pizza popper • Calories: 150.0
Total Fat: 8.2 g • Cholesterol: 16.7 mg • Sodium: 494.9 mg
Carbs: 12.0 g • Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g • Protein: 6.7 g
WeightWatchers® PointsPlus™: 4 per serving
*All nutritional info is estimated using SparkRecipes.com. Actuals may differ based upon product brand.