Bison has easily become our lower-fat alternate to ground beef in the last couple of years. Because bison is considered a “gourmet meat,” supermarkets and retailers tend to hike up the price a bit higher than your standard ground beef. Even though it isn’t cheaper by any means, it’s nice sometimes to switch up our filling of choice from time to time.
I recently read a blog post that called beef and bison “kissing cousins,” and I couldn’t help but giggle. They would make really cute, furry babies. Anyway, I digress. This post seems to be going nowhere quickly….
I’ll be honest. I ended up making bison tacos for two reasons: 1) I was craving tacos for dinner this week (must have been those leftover corn tortillas sitting in the fridge) and 2) all we had left in the freezer was ground bison. So ground bison tacos for dinner it was!
Did you know that bison has less total fat than most meat products including pork, chicken and most fish? Also, bison aren’t fed antibiotics, hormones and steroids and are most commonly grass-fed, unlike their beef counterpart, which can also make it a healthier and more natural option if that sort of thing is important to you. Plus, it’s packed with tons of protein! One 3-oz serving of bison contains nearly four times the protein content of an egg. Woah!
Wondering what it tastes like? Well, it doesn’t taste exactly like ground beef, but it’s very similar. Just imagine the best quality ground beef you’ve ever had and that should be a good comparison.
But enough about bison: let’s get to the recipe! This one is another easy-peasy cook-up that won’t disappoint!
… Don’t forget to check out my other yummy recipes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb all-natural, grass-fed ground bison
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 heaping tbsp of homemade taco seasoning
- 8 small corn tortillas (We really like La Tortilla Factory Hand Made Style Corn Tortillas.)
- toppings: salsa, guacamole, and freshly grated cheddar cheese [optional]
- In a large saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the ground bison and sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Continue cooked until the meat is no longer pink or red, about 10 minutes.
- While your meat cooks, in a small saucepan or on a griddle, lightly toast the corn tortillas on both sides to your desired level of toastiness!
- Once the meat is cooked, serve 1/4 of the meat mixture onto each tortilla and add your favorite toppings — cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, lettuce — whatever your heart desires!
- Nosh away!
Source: CDAH original recipe
[nutritional facts do not include taco toppings]
Servings Per Recipe: 4 • Serving Size: 2 tacos • Calories: 476.8
Total Fat: 18.0 g • Cholesterol: 94 mg • Sodium: 528.7 mg
Carbs: 32.1 g • Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g • Protein: 45.0
WeightWatchers® PointsPlus™: 12 per serving
*All nutritional info is estimated using MyFitnessPal.com. Actuals may differ based upon product brand.