It’s the start of parka-wearing season in Boston. That means it’s cold and will soon be bone-chilling, stay-inside-as-much-as-possible, stay-under-the-blankets-all-day cold. Sometimes it seems like the only way to stay warm during winter in New England is by snuggling under a fuzzy blanket (or two) and eating a piping hot bowl of stew, soup, or chili. My husband and I love making chili because a) it’s super easy, which is perfect for us as new parents and our time is precious and b) we can stuff our faces and not feel too guilty about it because of its relatively low Points Plus value. Fiber FTW!
We decided to do something a little different with our chili recipe this time around by exchanging ground beef for turkey and substituting pinto beans for small white beans. We then meddled with the recipe just a little bit more to perfect it. This will definitely be our go-to recipe for many more winters to come!
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 6 oz dry red kidney beans
- 10 oz small white beans
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 9 oz canned corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a medium pan or skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the diced onion and turkey and brown the meat, approximately 10 minutes.
- When browned, transfer the meat and onion to your crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the water, and mix evenly.
- Place the lid back on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours.
- About 15 – 30 minutes before the cooking time is done, add the water to your slow cooker and mix well. Allowing the chili to cook for additional time with the added liquid will help the flavors meld together and will help the sauce thicken a little bit.
- Taste before serving. If needed, add some salt and pepper to taste. If it’s to your liking, top with some freshly grated cheddar cheese and enjoy!
Source: Inspired by Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker Recipes
[does not include cheddar cheese nutrition facts ]
Servings Per Recipe: 8 • Serving Size: 1.5 – 2 cups • Calories: 384.8
Total Fat: 8.8 g • Cholesterol: 60.0 mg • Sodium: 1,080.6 mg
Carbs: 46.5 g • Dietary Fiber: 20.6 g • Protein: 30.2 g
WeightWatchers® PointsPlus™: 8 per serving
*All nutritional info is estimated using SparkRecipes.com. Actuals may differ based upon product brand.