Sooo… I don’t know if this really qualifies as a DIY project because there’s hardly anything involved, but I was so giddy with joy when I stumbled upon this natural stainless steel cleaning solution on Pinterest, I just had to share.
I should have probably been embarrassed by the huge grin on my face when I finished my latest cleaning project, but if you know how neurotic I am about certain things, you would understand. Now, multiply my normal amount of crazy by about a thousand due to prego hormones, and you might start to understand. Maybe.
As much as I love the look of stainless steal appliances, the thing that bothers me the most about them is that they never seem to be clean. I love that fresh out-of-the-box-and-covered-in-plastic-wrap look, and I’ve tried countless cleaners to try and get back to that look to no avail. Little did I know that the solution was staring me in the face, quite literally, every time I was standing over the stove cooking.
What’s the solution? OLIVE OIL! Oil? On stainless steel? Yes, I know… it sounds silly and counter-productive, but it really does work.
This was the project I was trying to tackle (Sorry for the poor photo quality; it was a lot worse than it looks in the photos!):
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Wet, clean cloth
- Soft, dry cloth (I cut up an extra cloth diaper I had lying around)
- Olive oil
Here’s what you do:
- Wipe down your fridge with the wet cloth to get rid of any stuck on food or grease.
- Put about 1 tbsp of olive oil on the dry cloth.
- Start buffing the fridge in circular patterns until you cover the entire fridge, and at the end, wipe with the grain as the last finishing touch.
- I also wiped down one last time with a clean cloth to make sure there wasn’t any leftover greasy residue, but that step is optional.
That’s it! Still don’t believe me? Take a look for yourself! Can’t you see how extra shiny it is, even with my poor quality photos? =)
After I finished the fridge, I worked on the dishwasher and got the same results. Perfect! The hard part will be keeping it clean, but that’s just as easy to do. Just wipe down the appliance with the same olive oil rag and you’re good to go!
Thank you to NaturalMommie.com for discovering and sharing such an easy solution!